Tuesday, June 21, 2011

enjoyment

I've been considering joy. For some reason in my categorical mind, the idea of sorting joy came to the surface. So, obsessively, I've been thinking about what sorts of joy one could experience. Of course, new thoughts have emerged in this process. This is what I came up with:

1. Indulgence. Starting with the obvious. A person can certainly indulge in something that brings pleasure, enjoyment; or someone can indulge us. Enjoy chocolate. Enjoy a movie. Enjoy a tickle. Enjoy a rest.

Indulgence is often associated with evil, sin, or even hedonism, but it is certainly a part of the standard human experience. Avoiding indulgence would be difficult, if at all possible, and thus, I must conclude that it is appropriate, in moderation. Excess indulgence is either addiction or gluttony, both of which are chief among the list of things that can destroy a person. But mutual indulgence can also bring connection, and indulgence can be earned.

2. Pride. This is the most complicated category. First, let's address the fundamental: is it fair to include this under 'enjoyment?' We've often heard the phrase "pride and joy," but are the two interchangeable? I say yes, based on how I conceive of enjoyment. When we experience pride, we can certainly sit back in our chairs and "feel good," right? Connect to indulgence this way: we 'deserve' a break after completing a hard job. We tell ourselves that we deserve to indulge in a break, at which point we lean back, survey our accomplishment, take pride in our work, and indulge in some 'non-productive' time.

We can have pride in our selves; which is to say: our identity includes traits that we expect others to admire. It might be equivalent to say that we can admire our egos, using social norms to justify this (typically). This extends to all sorts of things - pride in our abilities (whatever the sort), pride in our perseverance, pride in our generosity (even).

We can also have pride in our associations. That is, we can be proud of things outside of us that we have incorporated into ourselves. I might be proud of the Seahawks, though in part I'm proud of myself for sticking with the seahawks all of these years only to see them through the tough times to their eventual victory (as if). But even a fair weather fan is proud of them (let's switch to the Giants to make this more believable) as they represent me. I, in this case, am also my 'town' or my 'region' or whatever. Pride is essentially like collecting trinkets; we place various attributes and people and nations (things) in a mental display case, and polish it from time to time, showing it off to ourselves.

I might be proud of America, as I consider my self (my ego) to be a member of a nation worthy of merit. Or, conversely, I might be proud of myself for denying America, for embodying something higher than the flawed nation I inhabit. In which case, I'd be applying a value system that represents a certain demographic, with which I would like to associate myself.

The only thing separating pride from embarrassment is a reference frame.

I think it's fair to place pride and joy under an umbrella together. Often in my own past, apropos of nothing, I've suddenly been hit with a wave of joy accompanying some thought of some associations or identifications (connections to friends, jobs completed, hardships endured, etc.).

Pride is the joy most often connected with conflict. Pride in victory, or pride in associations leads to divisions between individuals or groups of individuals.

3. Transcendence. Ok, this is a particular label I've put on something, but what I was thinking was what it feels like to appreciate a work of art (a song, a painting, etc.) or a connection to nature. This also applies to a spiritual experience. We transcend our selves (our egos) through a connection to something greater, a vision of what lies beyond the self.

For me, this is most easily attained in nature, though nearly as often I feel it with loved ones. Real, powerful connections with the natural world, between people, or with art (which reminds us of our common humanity - another form of connection to others) hint at the greater that lies beyond our individual selves.

Transcendence is the joy of peace; the basis for all legitimate religions.

Am I missing anything?

1 comment:

  1. Joy, for me, centers around being fully in the present, devoid of ego and attachment, going with the flow that can evolve from this state.

    ReplyDelete